This is the theme of the Global Cooperative Finance Summit that will be held on Monday, October 8, 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., at the 2012 International Summit of Cooperatives, in Quebec City.
To celebrate the International Year of Cooperatives as declared by the United Nations, the International Co-operative Banking Association (ICBA)1, organizer of the Global Cooperative Finance Summit, wishes to emphasize the role and the importance of cooperative financial organizations in building a better world.
The Global Cooperative Finance Summit will feature 2 round tables:
- "The role played by cooperative banks in the area of intercooperation"
- "The contribution of cooperative banks in making the world a better place"
The Global Cooperative Finance Summit has 2 objectives:
- To look at the role that banks play in the area of intercooperation within the cooperative movement. Is intercooperation a business strategy that cooperative banks use and that produces quantifiable results? Are cooperative banks in a position to support and promote the cooperative business model?
- To explore how cooperative banks voluntarily contribute to making the world a better place. As cooperative banks are subject to new international transparency and credit rating standards, what commitments have they made?
Opening remarks byJean-Louis Bancel, President, International Co-operative Banking Association (ICBA)
8:40 a.m. – 9:15 a.m.
- Monique F. Leroux, Chair of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer, Desjardins Group
- Alain Paquet, Minister for Finance, Government of Quebec ()
9:15 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
First round table: "The role played by cooperative banks in the area of intercooperation"
- Daniel Kelley, Vice Chairman, CoBank
- Anne Gaboury, Vice President, Desjardins International Development
- Stuart Coe, Fund Manager, Global Development Co-operative
- Brian Branch, President and Chief Executive Officer, World Council of Credit Unions (WOCCU) ()
- Fortunatas Dirgincius, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, Lithuanian Central Credit Union ()
10:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Second round table: "The contribution of cooperative banks making the world a better place"
- Arnold Kuijpers, Director Corporate Affairs, Rabobank
- John Baistow, Chairman, Bankmecu
- Huguette Labelle, Chair of the Board, Transparency International ()
- Tamara Vrooman, Chief Executive Officer, Vancity ()
11:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Jean Houde, President, Finance Montréal
Conclusion by Jean-Louis Bancel, President, ICBA
12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Information and registration:
Please confirm your attendance by returning the registration form by September 15, 2012, to Sandrine Rodrigues at email@example.com.
1. The International Co-operative Banking Association (ICBA) is a sectoral organization of the International Co-operative Alliance (ICA).
ICBA's mission is to contribute to the sound development, growth and competitiveness of co-operative banks in the marketplace by defending their interests and by promoting their significant contribution to the economic and social well-being of communities on a global scale.